In our daily life, we encounter different types of painful condition. “Tennis elbow” is a common among them. Sometimes we feel pain while wringing clothes or any twisting movement. Actually, that is the first symptom of “Tennis Elbow”. The term “Tennis Elbow” was defined by madris, in 1873.
- Painful elbow, exactly the lateral (outer) part, most.
- Pain while wringing the washed clothes.
- Pain while using a wrench.
- Any hand activity patient feel pain and discomport.
- Pain from activities that use the muscles that extend the wrist (e.g. pouring a container of liquid, lifting with the palm down, sweeping, especially where wrist movement is required). Symptoms associated with tennis elbow include, but are not limited to: radiating pain from the outside of the elbow to the forearm and wrist, pain during extension of wrist, weakness of the forearm, a painful grip while shaking hands or torquing adoorknob, and not being able to hold relatively heavy items in the hand.
- If this continue depressing may occur.
Pain site :
The lateral (Outer)
Part of elbow,
Pain at the common Extensor tendon.
- Epicondylitis (Such as due to Trauma)
- Bursitis (Influsmmation of Bursa )
- Calcification of/ Calcified deposition at common extensor tendon.
- Hypertrophy of synovial fringe.
- Pain due to neurological (Radial nerve) entrapment or cervidcal disc affect.
- Repetitive strain injury, resulting from tendon overuse and failed healing of the tendon.
Although anti-inflammatories are a commonly prescribed treatment for tennis elbow, the evidence for their effect is usually anecdotal with only limited studies showing a benefit. A systematic review found that topical non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) may improve pain in the short term (up to 4 weeks) but was unable to draw firm conclusions due to methodological issues. Evidence for oral NSAIDs is mixed. Some Therapeutic supplement such as glucosamine condrotionsulphateute, vitD, Calcium magnesium, Hyaluronic Acid are helpful.
The best option for treating the “Tennis Elbow” is physiotherapy. But, we must consult with an Expert physiotherapist. Other wise, if will increase the pain, also, the different procedure and modialities for physiotherapy treatment, are given below.
- Rest and splinting (Tennis elbow support). This must use during activity not in rest time.
- HFS, EMR(to heal), SDZ II N(N & M)
- Cryotherapy – Ice cold pack for 15 minutes only.
- Electrical stimulation – (Faradism)
- Active exercise for elbow and shoulder Isometric Exercise.
- DTF (Deep Transverse friction) .
- Manipulation (Methodological)
- LASER Low level application one of the Modern Treatment.
- Stretching and progressive strengthening exercise to prevent re-irritation of the tendon.
- Relaxation exercise for affected muscle.
- Dry needling therapy has been gaining popularity.
Dr. Md. Shafiullah Prodhan
Chief Consultant, DPRC Hospital
Cell : +8801716306913